Possible that abcl-2.0.0 will not support openjdk8

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Oct 6 15:56:52 UTC 2020

A question for all Bear fans:  would you be severly impacted if abcl-2.0.0
dropped support for openjdk8, just supporting openjdk11 and up?

In order to realistically get ABCL to implement Compare and Swap at all
efficiently, I think we need to require that the JVM memory access model
conforms to the fixes identified by Doug Lea et. al. as codified in the
[VarHandle interface first introduced in openjdk9][varhandle].

abcl-1.8.0 would be the last release supporting openjdk8.  Comments with this
policy?  Please yell early if you absolutely could not migrate an existing use
of ABCL to openjdk11.

[cas]: https://github.com/armedbear/abcl/issues/92

[varhandle]: https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.base/java/lang/invoke/VarHandle.html

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."