Third Brick Wall

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 07:27:39 UTC 2020

Arrays are primitive sequences of fixed size and element type. They are
implemented in the JVM itself (presumably in C++). Each array has a
(synthetic) array class represented in Java as <type>[].class, e.g.,
int[].class or String[].class or Object[][].class.
Lists are higher-level data structures, implemented in Java. They're
potentially heterogeneous in element type, have variable size, and several
implementations with different characteristics, particularly wrt.
performance and concurrency. ArrayList is one such implementation: a List
backed by a primitive array. Then there's LinkedList, etc.