Regarding Steps Towards ABCL STEP Functionality

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:49:08 UTC 2020

I've wanted this too for a while, but it hasn't reached the top, so I'm
very happy to hear you are interested in this. I believe I thought the
starting point should be in src/org/armedbear/Lisp.java which hosts what
looks like an evaluator. Look for

  public static final LispObject eval(final LispObject obj,
                                      final Environment env,
                                      final LispThread thread)

For instance at "else if (obj instanceof Cons)"  it is handling evaluation
of a cons, with the first section handling the case where the  first
element is a symbol and checking for whether it names a  function, macro,
or special form. Below that it handles the case where there's a lambda in
the function position. There's a hook for profiling that counts function
calls - presumably that would be one place to hook. You'll need to follow
it to see how special forms are processed, etc.

If, in slime you execute e.g.  (defun foo (a b &optional c) (and c (+ a b)))
and (inspect #'foo), you'll see how ABCL represents evaluated functions.

Alan