Moving the Bear past Java 11

Mark Evenson evenson.not.org at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 14:59:24 UTC 2019

As the leaves fall in the Northern hemisphere, thoughts of the Bear
turn to a rumored permanent slumber, and a complete absence of the
possibility of new updates.  The Bear [accepts][trac] [all][gitab]
patches][github], so if you don't like the current implementation,
please get out and push.  Or pull?  Or fast forward? The Bear is
seemingly always confused with Git…

As previously rumored, [patches for getting the Armed Bear Common Lisp
implementation running on Java 11][github-with-java11] have landed in
the [trunk][trunk-with-java11].

Unless anyone objects strongly, we will release [ABCL
1.6.0][abcl-1.6.0] as soon as possible with the intention to support
the openjdk{6,7,8,11} runtimes.

After stabilizing the 1.6 branch with the inevitable necessary and
unknown updates, we can turn our attention to the [2.0
branch][abcl-2.0.0] which will introduce support for additional
runtimes but drop support for emitting openjdk6 or openjdk7 compatible
byte-code.

As always, everyone's desires are welcome to be expressed.

yers in CONS,
Mark <evenson.not.org at gmail.com>

   [trunk-with-java11]: https://abcl.org/trac/changeset/15133
   [github-with-java11]: https://github.com/armedbear/abcl/commit/a628e961a1dc33e1f225191a19494701d7770e55
   [github]: https://github.com/armedbear/abcl/
   [trac]: https://abcl.org/trac/
   [gitlab]: https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/abcl/abcl/
   [svn]: svn://abcl.org/svn/
   [mailing-list]: <mailto:armedbear-devel at common-lisp.net>
   [abcl-1.6.0]: https://abcl.org/trac/milestone/1.6.0
   [abcl-2.0.0]: https://abcl.org/trac/milestone/2.0.0

--
"No, this is not a disentanglement, but a progressive /knotting-into/."