user manual code example race condition

Alan Ruttenberg alanruttenberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 16:53:49 UTC 2019

Wasn't quite clear. I'm assuming that there are three constructors for a
singleton and that they are incompatible - otherwise why not have one
method?
If I'm wrong about them being incompatible, then have only a single method
and move the variance to another method.

I suggested exception because if one has already been created, and you ask
for a now incompatible one, it should be an error. Calling the successful
getSingleton again should succeed.

I'm assuming the getSingleton method(s) are synchronized on the same object
(the Class in this case).

The advantage over the old way is that there isn't a race condition.

Actually, I'm not sure why only one interpreter is allowed. An alternative
would be to have separate createInterpreter, getDefaultInterpreter or
better, just use new to get a private interpreter instead of having a
createInterpreter.

createInterpreter/new always succeeds and returns a non-global interpreter
you need to keep track of yourself. getDefaultInterpreter either returns
the static interpreter or creates, stores, and returns it.

Having a createXXX that returns nil and sometimes returns an interpreter
makes no sense to me.

If we land up refactoring, I'd also propose we move the j stuff to a
separate class.