Repositories of ABCL-specific code? / Kill runaway ABCL function and return to REPL?

Elliott, Clark elliott at depaul.edu
Wed Jun 12 02:34:22 UTC 2019

Dear ABCL experts,

I am working on AI system development in LISP. I like using ABCL because of its easy portability to Windows, Mac, and Linux and its direct access to Java. I am running ABCL in emacs shells, often as several processes at once, communicating via sockets. The LISP is working very well indeed. Great job!

I've slogged through getting things like sockets and threads running--mostly using apropos and guessing--but it takes a lot of time. I STRONGLY prefer to work from examples of running code.

I would dearly love some tips on the following:

1. Are there repositories of ABCL-specific running code, small programs, utility applications and etc. showing the actual running of ABCL implementation-specific functions? Native ABCL networking? ABCL tricks? Examples of running programs using the native threads? Examples of small systems using Java-to-LISP and LISP-to-Java (beyond the given short examples)?

2. How can I stop a runaway ABCL LISP function and return to top-level LISP without having to blow away the emacs buffer, and thus my entire current LISP context? In other LISPs I've had some kind of control key sequence, but can't find one for ABCL.

E.g.:

(defun runaway ()
  (let ((n 0))
    (loop while (< (incf n) 10)
       ;; Pretend this ran away. How do I kill it in ABCL REPL?
       do
	 (sleep 1))))

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,