simple hello world fails - can't find LISP_HOME

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Jan 17 13:07:09 UTC 2019

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 14:21, Stephen Varey <srvarey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have built abcl from source
> Then went to write my first simple hello world....
>
> public class Tester {
>
>     void simple() {
>         Interpreter interpreter = Interpreter.createInstance();
>         LispObject result = interpreter.eval("(format t \"Hello, world!~%\")");
>         System.out.println(result);
>     }

>         new Tester().simple();
>     }
> }
>
> The execution fails with the following.
> ant -f C:\\git\\abcl -Djavac.includes=org/armedbear/lisp/util/Tester.java -Dnb.internal.action.name=run.single -Drun.class=org.armedbear.lisp.util.Tester run-single
> init:
> Deleting: C:\git\abcl\build\built-jar.properties
> deps-jar:
> Updating property file: C:\git\abcl\build\built-jar.properties
> Compiling 1 source file to C:\git\abcl\build\classes
> compile-single:

It’s a little hard to tell what’s going on, but I *think* you are attempting to build your Tester.java class as part of the ABCL build, perhaps using a modified version of the <file:build.xml> to drive, but it is hard to tell without a copy of your source.  If you could put up such a copy online, it would be helpful to diagnose things as I would have a reproducible recipe locally.

Developers usually build their application not by modifying the contents of `abcl.jar`, but an additional archive.  It is fairly trivial to rebould a copy of `abcl-contrib` that contains a customized contribution.

Since your Tester.java is purely Java side, you might be able to get away with a simple invocation of `java` which includes `abcl.jar` in its class path like:

```
java -cp SOMEWHERE/abcl.jar:. Tester
```

I suspect you are trying to accomplish all of this via Netbeans projects.  While possible, one has to understand a fair amount of the details, so being able to reproduce from the command line for a given online copy of the source would be ideal to get something working.

Yours,
Mark

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."