ABCL efficiency and build settings

ThutmoseIII Thoth thutmosethree at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 01:48:04 UTC 2018

Greetings ABCL developers!

I have built an application with ABCL and am very pleased with both ABCL and my application, but I would like some help and suggestions in terms of the efficiency of my program, building settings, and perhaps JVM tuning. In the OS X Activity Monitor, my application is reporting to be using 29 threads and 200% of the CPU — This is enough to make my computer HOT to the touch! The equivalent program was running with CCL and cocoa at about 70% CPU and about 10 threads and was not hot to the touch…

My program is fairly simple in that it just displays images in a JFrame that it gets from bytes over a socket. For this program I decided to handle each socket and display on its own thread, so I’ve only created two additional threads.

I “built” the program by compiling all the .lisp files into .abcl files, then writing a tiny Java main function which creates an Interpreter and loads each .abcl file and finally calls Interpreter.eval on a lisp function which starts the program. I am using the Oracle Java 1.8 Hotspot JVM and ABCL 1.5.0 built from source.

Thank you and please write back with suggestions and questions that will help me make my program run more efficiently.