available encodings symbols strangeness; was: How to determine allowable external formats at run time

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Apr 1 11:55:16 UTC 2018

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 03:12, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've made some progress, but ran into a problem.
>
> I see that SYSTEM:AVAILABLE-ENCODINGS returns a list of symbols which
> represent the various encodings that are discovered via
> Charset.availableCharsets. That's great, but the symbols are
> apparently not interned in the keyword package, so it makes it
> somewhat confusing to determine whether a given encoding is on the
> list.
>
> e.g. (member :utf-16 (system:available-encodings)) returns NIL,
> although looking at the list, you can see that :UTF-16 is there.
>
> Confusingly, (mapcar #'symbol-package (system:available-encodings))
> shows that all symbols are in the keyword package, but (find-symbol
> "UTF-16" :keyword) returns NIL.
>
> I believe the problem is that availableEncodings in
> src/org/armedbear/lisp/Stream.java says, in part, (at line 399 in the
> current version)
>
> new Symbol(charset, PACKAGE_KEYWORD)
>
> but I think more appropriate would be
>
> PACKAGE_KEYWORD.intern(charset)
>
> or, at any rate, something to intern the charset symbol in the
> package, since the Symbol constructor doesn't have that effect. What
> does anyone think about that?
>
> I tried to sign in to Trac to enter a bug report about this but wasn't
> able. (1) "Login" wants a common-lisp.net user id -- I don't see a
> method to obtain a user id on the common-lisp.net website. (2) "OpenId
> login", clicked on Google, got: "Error in discovery: HTTP Response
> status from identity URL host is not 200. Got status 404".
>
> Hope this helps, and all the best.
>
> Robert Dodier

Patched as per Robert’s suggestion with <https://abcl.org/trac/changeset/15114>.

—

Unfortunately abcl.org/trac doesn’t currently work with OpenID, and probably
never will if I understand things correctly.  But I can grant logins to the
abcl.org/trac interface for all that request them.

I’m a bit stuck without the time to properly migrate the over a decade’s worth
of information in the database to common-lisp.net.  I do not want this
information to solely reside in a commercial entity like github.com whose
longevity will never be proven until it disappears one day (c.f. googlecode.com).

For now, I am manually attempting to copy (somewhat badly, admittedly) the
information for the issues into Trac.