ABCL and Truffle

Alessio Stalla alessiostalla at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:10:47 UTC 2016

Hi list,

is anyone aware of Truffle/Graal from Oracle? Here some insightful slides:
https://lafo.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/papers/2016_PLDI_Truffle.pdf

Since there's been talk about rewriting the ABCL compiler which is old,
messy and not very optimizing, I wonder if Truffle can be a useful
technology to base a new compiler on. Not as the default because it
requires Java 9 (or perhaps 8), but at least as a future-proof solution. It
seems to me that getting started is not hard - just map the Lisp
S-expression based AST to a Truffle AST; optimizations can follow
incrementally. What do you think? I don't have the resources to work on it
anytime soon, I'm letting my own projects slip sadly - it would be great to
work on it. Still, maybe someone else is interested. I can contribute some
design and code reviews, if need be, but little actual coding.

Peace
Alessio