Synonym streams and column position

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Apr 4 06:16:40 UTC 2016

On 2016/4/3 11:59, Stas Boukarev wrote:
[…]
> Just noticed that the first snippet came out wrong, it was supposed to be
> (let ((stream (make-synonym-stream '*standard-output*)))
>   (write-string "abc" stream)
>   (fresh-line stream)
>   (write-string "abc" stream))
> => abcabc

I was wondering about the repetition; I've updated the ticket.

May I ask what is the point of using a SYNONYM-STREAM in the bug
examples?  Just using *STANDARD-OUTPUT* directly as the stream argument
still evidences the problem, so I don't understand the use of
MAKE-SYNOMYM-STREAM.  Is the potential problem that something in SLIME
or elsewhere might be rebinding *STANDARD-OUTPUT* between calls?