Package-local nicknames

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Fri Nov 27 14:42:23 UTC 2015

Alessio Stalla <alessiostalla at gmail.com>
writes:

> Hello list,
>
> long time no see :)
>
> I'm once again experimenting on ABCL with a sort of a pet peeve of
> mine: hierarchical symbols (aka symbols as packages aka symbol/
> package conflation). If I get good results I'll submit an article to
> the next ELS. Btw, is anyone going?
>
> I've seen that, since the time when I was actively contributing to
> it, ABCL has gained package-local nicknames (or, they were already
> there and I never noticed or I forgot about them). Since my
> experiment is, I suppose, a superset of what said nicknames have to
> offer, I'm curious: is anybody using them? How? Are they a novel idea
> of ABCL's, or were they inspired by other implementations? Do they
> implement some specification (e.g., a CDR)?

I implemented recently allegro's hierarchical package in conforming CL
cf. https://gitlab.com/com-informatimago/com-informatimago/blob/master/common-lisp/lisp/relative-package.lisp

and this week, phoe_krk implemented his own version of package local
pseudonyms (like package nicknames, but separate):
https://github.com/phoe-krk/pseudonyms

Perhaps it'd really be time to write a CDR and implement something good
and common on all implementations?