(require 'jna) failing in 1.3.2

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 26 06:39:41 UTC 2015

> On 25 May 2015, at 20:38, Scott L. Burson <Scott at sympoiesis.com> wrote:
>
> Hi armed bears,
>
> I'm getting a DependencyCollectionException from org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem: "failed to read artifact descriptor for net.java.dev.jna:jna:jar:4.1.0".  This is ABCL 1.3.2, JDK 1.8.0_40, on Linux.
>
> ... I just tried JDK 1.7.0_71 and 1.6.0_25, and they both fail the same way.
>
> Any ideas?

I believe you are using a version of Maven that is currently incompatible with
ABCL.  You may check the version of Maven that ABCL is using by inspecting the
values of ABCL-ASDF:ENSURE-MVN-VERSION.

As noted in ticket [#390][], usage with Maven versions greater that 3.2.3 is
not currently working.  Maven Aether doesn’t seem to have a stable API to code
against or perhaps we just don’t understand it well enough, so even supposedly
minor changes like from 3.2.3 to 3.2.5 break our usage.  We thought we had
coded around the latest change to the Maven Aether contract, but it turns out
post Maven 3.2.3, ABCL can only load Maven dependencies that have already been
cached locally.

Current workarounds:

1)  Use [maven-3.2.3][]

2)  Install the necessary dependencies [locally via the mvn commandline][1]

    mvn dependency:get -Dartifact=net.java.dev.jna:jna:4.1.0:jar

[#390]: http://abcl.org/trac/ticket/390

[maven-3.2.3]: https://archive.apache.org/dist/maven/maven-3/3.2.3/binaries/

[1]: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1895492/how-can-i-download-a-specific-maven-artifact-in-one-command-line