Licensing Issues

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Fri Jul 3 08:51:50 UTC 2015

Peter Olsen <pcolsen at gmail.com> writes:

> This discussions such as this are good reasons to avoid using GPL code
> where ever possible.

Let's not repeat the discussion, but for the by-standers, I'll mention
that

- it would also be a good reason why to use GPL always and everywhere
  (so those problems do not occur anymore).

- in the wake of WebAssembly, one should even consider AGPL3, less you
  see web sites using your GPL code without providing the sources, but
  sending the users a compiled form.

  One of the main reason why web programming has spread so much, is
  because web pages and programs were sent everywhere in source form.
  Once you receive in your HTML the link to some binary blob, users and
  newbie web programmers won't have the same barrier to entrance…

- last time I checked, Montsanto and the other corporations still
  required monetary payment for the tomatoes I need to be programming.
  Therefore I see no reason to let corporations use my code without at
  least, providing the source code of their programs using it that they
  distribute.  They're still free to accept or not this "payment", as
  I'm free to accept or not to pay for their tomatoes.  BSD and MIT are
  universities, with programmers paid by the public; their software are
  already paid by the public.  Depending on the situation in which you
  are (public servant with your living already assured by the people, or
  private guys who has to pay for everything), you should choose wisely
  your licenses.  As soon as a universal revenue of some kind is
  established, I will revise my choice of license.