Proposal to improve the loading of the abcl-contrib dependency.

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sat Aug 1 16:39:48 UTC 2015

> On 01 Aug 2015, at 10:20, Ralph Ritoch <rritoch at gmail.com> wrote:

[…]

> jar:file:SOME.jar!/META-INF/common-lisp/source-registry-conf.d/*/*.conf

Might as well just take all files recursively:

jar:file:SOME.jar!/META-INF/common-lisp/source-registry-conf.d/**/*.conf

which will allow both styles to be used.

> My second concern is the method of configuring the contrib search. The default should certainly support the "legacy" search methods and fallback to the classpath, but to avoid imposing limitations on future systems I believe a better algorithm would be to allow registration of custom configuration search handlers such as having a sys:*configuration-providers* which contains and ordered list of configuration provider functions. In the case of web based apps, this opens the potential to cache remote configuration files.

We’re not really defining a contrib search anymore, per se, but rather an
additional mechanism to configure ASDF locations in jar files.  ASDF already
has a robust set of APIs for configuring itself, so I’m not entirely convinced
that there is a need for anything beyond defining a well-known location within
JAR archives to search.  Note that ABCL already has an extension mechanism for
CL:REQUIRE in the SYS:*MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS* hook. Could you give me a
couple more specific use cases in which one would need additional mechanisms to
specify the location of ASDF source registry configuration files?

> I am looking forward to the progress of this, expanding this functionality beyond the configuration of one specific library could greatly improves the application lifecycle for ABCL applications.

Again, ABCL already has a rich configuration mechanism for specifying ASDF
system locations except for the location of the systems that constitute
ABCL-CONTRIB.  Could you explain what you mean by application lifecycle here or
what domain you are using the term from?

> As for the maintenance of the maven build system, the pom's I submitted compile the java files, and builds the jar, but is calling ant targets. While ant can call maven it still comes down to the key issue that maven doesn't pick-up a jar created by an external process. Maven central requires a source release, a binary release, and javadoc release, which all must be GPG signed. The complexity of trying to make maven a slave to ant is comparable to the complexity of the current "manual" system and I believe it will lead to the same situation you have now where no one does releases to maven. While there may be room for improvement with the maven system, there's normally little to no maintenance needed, once it is properly configured. The only thing that must be changed are the version numbers, and any dependencies. If you can make maven a slave to ant such that it will deploy to central and local repositories, that would be fine, but other than creating a custom maven plugin I don't know any way it would be possible without allowing maven to package and sign the jars.

One can make releases to Maven using the existing POMs as was done in the past:
all we need is someone with the correct amount of upstream juice to establish
the political connections.

There is nothing about the complexity of the current build process that
prohibits releases to Maven, just a lack of a volunteer to ensure that it
happens.  The [instructions have been written][1]

[1]: http://abcl.org/trac/browser/trunk/abcl/maven-release.txt

> I was advised that it would be possible to do away with the ant system all together. What was suggested to me by java developers was to have the java sources built in one module, which has a post-build script to compile the lisp files, and a second module which uses the target (generated) files of the first module as it's resource path. Calling ant is much easier since the ant system is already built, but it is possible to completely deprecate ant in favor of maven.

As I pointed out earlier, your POMs do not share the intermediate build
artifact locations nor packaging instructions with the Ant system.  In
addition, there is a fair amount of other functionality in the Ant file which
is definitely not duplicated in your POMs (running tests, running debugging
instances, generating TAGS, usw.)  Until we approach a level of competence with
Maven that allows us to adapt Maven to the needs of ABCL, I think discussions
about deprecating Ant in favor of Maven are premature.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."