[Armedbear-devel] How to load compiled Lisp stuff from a jar

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Nov 28 20:16:00 UTC 2014

Mark Evenson wrote:
>> On 25 Nov 2014, at 23:47, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
>>
>> If the problem is the use of reader macros foiling introspection by
>> ASDF-JAR, then probably Fare's addition of :FEATURE to the ASDF system
>> definition language is just what you need.
>
> My problem is more basic:  how do I create a monolithic FASL?  Where does it
> get created?  There seems to be no documentation on this in the ASDF manual,
> and I haven’t had time to go through the mailing list and source to figure
> things out.
>
> Section 13.2.12 of the ASDF manual mentions the obsolescence of associated symbols,
> but I don’t know how to use the symbols in the first place.
>
> From looking at the ASDF source, my first guess at what I would execute to
> bundle a system, ASDF:BUNDLE-SYSTEM,  seems marked as deprecated.
>
> In lieu of better documentation, can somebody point me to an ASDF system that
> putatively uses this machinery that I may study and learn from?

I'm a little confused: doesn't ABCL use ASDF-JAR *instead* of Fare's
monolithic-<foo> operations? So are you looking to harmonize the two in
some way?

I don't claim to understand these.  Faré put them in before I took over,
I believe mostly for the benefit of ECL. My attempts to use them with
ABCL (as you know) have always failed for me: on the Mac the jar
pathnames get garbled in ways I don't understand.  We had some
correspondence about this, but I don't think either of us were able to
figure it out.

For a conventional CL implementation I don't see the value of the
monolithic fasls, although I suppose there would be some speed-up in
would be better off using an image to load.

As far as symbol obsolescence, what's going on is that we decided the
original names weren't very clear, so the operations got renamed.
Unfortunately, there had already been a release, so instead of just
renaming them, we kept both names, with the old names left around and
deprecated.  I'll probably blow them away whenever ASDF 3.2 rolls around.

I don't think there is a system that uses these operations, per se.  I
think it's intended that it be possible to apply them to any system.

Sorry I wasn't of more assistance.

Best,