[Armedbear-devel] ABCL and RMI

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Wed Nov 26 08:20:55 UTC 2014

> On 25 Nov 2014, at 21:55, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
>
> I am trying to profile (using jvirtualvm) a program that I have compiled
> ABCL into.  I'm using ABCL to script the application, and rapidly prototype
> extensions.

I’m not familiar with jvirtualvm:  what is it?  Do you mean [JVisuamVM][1]?

[1]:  http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jvisualvm.html

> The program is the PRISM model checker (http://www.prismmodelchecker.org/),
> for anyone who is interested.
>
> Oddly, I find that the profiler's call graph shows not just my top level
> main() program as a root, but also multiple jobs running RMI TCP
> connection.  These are all in the idle state, but seem to be chewing up a
> lot of CPU.
>
> There are 16 of these processes and an RMI thread scheduler.
>
> Is there any way that ABCL could be causing this to happen?  I don't see
> any use of RMI in the host PRISM program, but then I don't see it in ABCL,
> either.

Stock ABCL contains no reference to Java RMI code, so I would suspect that the
RMI-associated threads would be part of the profiling machinery you are using.

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."