[armedbear-devel] Backquote bug

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 18:59:31 UTC 2014

>>> so one could argue that there's no rule for `#n(…), and therefore it's
>>> not a conforming form anyways.
>>>
>> Maybe it should be an error, then, or demons should be made to fly out
>> of one's nose.
>
> I would rather have a CDR written to specify this case ;-)

Well, if we were to re-open standardization of backquote to handle more cases,
I would argue for defining an extensible protocol for the reader,
quasiquotation, and pretty-printer, which would allow backquote and commas
to work in arbitrary data structures, rather than merely lists and arrays:
by associating with each reader macro a constructor (vector for #(),
some make-foo for #S(foo ...), etc.), said constructor can be called
either at read-time, macro-expansion time, runtime, etc., depending
on the quasiquotation status, and then unquote can be made to work fine.

Always strive to be the best yourself you can be.
For you can't possibly be anyone else, anyway.