[Armedbear-devel] Monolithic fasls (Was Re: How to load compiled Lisp stuff from a jar)

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Dec 2 09:12:35 UTC 2014

On 12/2/14 10:03, Mark Evenson wrote:

> Do monolithic FASLs work on MKCL, since ECL is effectively dead?  If
> not, then we should probably document things in the ABCL manual.  But
> then that approach is a little odd, as the majority of the code resides
> in ASDF.  But it seems a bit out of place to document something in the
> ASDF manual that only applies to one, and possibly two, Common Lisp
> implementations.

Actually, [Dave Cooper's blog post][1] was enough for me to understand
what is going on.  Thanks Dave!

[1]: http://gendl.blogspot.com/2013/03/saving-images-with-asdf3.html

One difference for the current ASDF is that to view where the monolithic
bundle gets written, one has to use the MONOLITHIC-COMPILE-BUNDLE-OP as
follows:

    (asdf:output-files 'asdf:monolithic-compile-bundle-op :cl-ppcre)

I would suggest that ASDF:BUNDLE-SYSTEM emit this sort of information as
well.