[Armedbear-devel] How to get a fresh session or instance

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 21:37:22 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-10, Alessio Stalla <alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com>

>> Well, I am loading ABCL and then Maxima into a Jetty servlet.
>> The servlet class exposes a few methods which call Maxima functions
>> to provide some services to Flex clients; BlazeDS is the glue.
>> I'd like to figure out a way to ensure that different browser
>> sessions don't step on each others toes. Maxima itself doesn't
>> have any way to do that.

> Define "step on each other's toes".

Well, Maxima has a lot of global state (options, variables with values,
user-defined functions, etc etc). Ideally from one session you wouldn't
have any visibility into another sessions global state.

> Would simply loading Maxima in different Lisp packages work and be enough for you?

Not sure what you mean. Can you clarify?

> In general, one ABCL instance per HTTP session doesn't seem a very smart
> thing to do.

It would be enough to make one copy of the static data in ABCL classes
per session ... I don't suppose that's possible, except maybe by some
heavy-duty JVM hacking.

best

Robert Dodier