[Armedbear-devel] loading Maxima via ASDF

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 23:49:12 UTC 2014

After some flailing around, I managed to figure out how to load
Maxima via ASDF + ABCL. For the record, ASDF + ABCL 1.3.1.

The problem I reported about ASDF not looking in the right place for
the .abcl files might be due to the maxima.asd specifying a place
without telling ASDF (?? not sure). By disabling ASDF's output
translation stuff, the problem went away. Alternatively, one could
nuke the assignment to ASDF:*BINARY-OUTPUT-DIR* in maxima.asd and
let ASDF figure out where to put stuff (somewhere below ~/.cache/
common-lisp, it appears).

It appears to be necessary now to specify something for
ASDF:*CENTRAL-REPOSITORY*. I hadn't found that necessary before.
(Last time I tried might have been a couple of years ago.)

So with maxima-5.33.0.tar.gz unpacked, this recipe worked for me:

(0) cd maxima-5.33.0/src

(1) edit maxima.asd to say binary-abcl instead of binary-ecl
for ASDF:*BINARY-OUTPUT-DIR*. (Not strictly necessary.)
ASDF thens writes stuff into ./binary-abcl.

(2) launch ABCL via: java -jar path/to/abcl.jar

(3) in ABCL repl:

    (require 'asdf)
    (setf asdf:*central-registry* '(*default-pathname-defaults*))
    (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :maxima)

(4) launch Maxima interpreter: (cl-user::run)

Plotting, help, run_testsuite all work as expected;
test suite has a few unexpected errors, mostly numerical.


Robert Dodier

Armedbear-devel mailing list
Armedbear-devel at common-lisp.net

More information about the armedbear-devel mailing list