[Armedbear-devel] controlling from where ASDF loads .abcl files

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 04:26:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to use ABCL + ASDF to compile and load Maxima.
It used to work so I guess there have just been some small
changes to ABCL and/or ASDF that I need to take account of.

After (require 'asdf) and (setf asdf:*central-registry*
'(*default-pathname-defaults*)) (which wasn't necessary before,
but that doesn't matter), I find that (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op
:maxima) fails with an error like this:

#<THREAD "interpreter" {EE920}>: Debugger invoked on condition of type
FILE-ERROR
  File not found:
/home/robert/.cache/common-lisp/abcl-1.3.0-fasl42-linux-x86
/home/robert/tmp/maxima-5.33.0/src/binary-abcl/maxima-package.abcl

But maxima-package.abcl does exist in
/home/robert/tmp/maxima-5.33.0/src/binary-abcl,
and (since the current working directory is /home/robert
/tmp/maxima-5.33.0/src)
(load "binary-abcl/maxima-package.abcl") succeeds.
Then I can select option 2 (accept) and continue to the next
file, autoconf-variables.abcl, load it by hand, continue to the
next, nregex.abcl, etc etc.

/home/robert/.cache/common-lisp doesn't exist. How can I tell ASDF to
look in the same place that it actually wrote the file?

Thanks for any advice. I found some ASDF documentation
but couldn't figure it out.

best,

Robert Dodier