[armedbear-devel] Building with gcj

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Sep 30 09:37:19 UTC 2013

On 9/30/13 0234 , David Creelman wrote:

[…]

> I'm able to run ABCL under Java on Debian (testing) with no troubles (using
> ant or build-abcl.lisp with a few changes).
> However, I'm stumped about how to use gcj to make an exe.

The current ABCL codebase targets the JRE 1.5 runtime.  [The gcj info
pages][gcj] state that gcj currently targets the JRE 1.2 runtime, and
has no support for AWT/Swing.  Is this statement still correct?  I
*think* it might be possible to get ABCL compiled by gcj, but it will
take some hacking on the source tree to remove parts not supported by GCJ.

[gcj]: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/Limitations.html#Limitations

> I'm wanting to use the exe on a site that doesn't have java, but will allow
> server exes.

I have had recent success with using [launch4j][] to create Windows
executables which contain their own JRE which does not need any of the
Windows registry settings.  Somewhat surprisingly to me, a fairly
unencumbered re-distribution of the ORCL JRE is allowed under current
licensing.  I had promised Erik to investigate ways this could be
incorporated into the standard ABCL build process, but have yet to get
the time to address this.

[launch4j]:  http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/

> For a normal Java build, on Debian I needed to change the script a little so that the java and javac exe
> were found at /usr/bin/java, rather than /bin/java. Perhaps this could be made into
> a defconstant/defparameter?

The current canonical build process via Ant does not make use of any
DEFCONSTANT/DEFPARAMETER, but is controlled but the settings in
'abcl.properties'.  The location of 'java' and 'javac' are derived from
the current executable path of the Ant process but may be overriden in
via setting the right properties.

> If someone has built ABCL with gcj and could point me to some docs I may have missed
> or some information that may be missing, but is in someones head or a custom
> build script, please let me know.

Anyone?