[armedbear-devel] ASDF: Cannot handle the special form EXTENSIONS:TRULY-THE

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 12:55:00 UTC 2013

Hi all,

What is the current status of this problem?
> (I think the ticket #230 might be relevant to this problem.)
> My current workaround is to make truly-the a macro.
>
> CL-USER> (defmacro truly-the (type value)
>            `(the ,type ,value))
> TRULY-THE
> CL-USER> (ql:quickload 'screamer)
> To load "screamer":
>   Load 1 ASDF system:
>     screamer
> [package screamer]................................
> [package screamer-user].............
> (SCREAMER)
> CL-USER> (lisp-implementation-type)
> "Armed Bear Common Lisp"
> CL-USER> (lisp-implementation-version)
> "1.0.1-svn-13750-13751"
> CL-USER>

To cut a long story short: the problem hasn't progressed.

However, your analysis is entirely correct: defining a macro for the
TRULY-THE form would indeed by the short term solution. My thoughts would
be to remove the special form longer term. Even though we have
special-purpose compilation support for it, I don't see benefits in keeping
it around. It's supposed to allow increased performance for compiled
programs. So, upon removal, we probably need to verify that the performance
degradation is small enough.