[armedbear-devel] Next steps on our way to usability

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 19:46:21 UTC 2013

Hi Anton,

Thanks for the explanation on how to grovel ASDF dependencies!

As a CL user I can suggest another perspective to increase adoption of a CL
> implementation:
> improving developer experience. Good slime integration, fast slime (fuzzy)
> competions,
> convenient sldb debugger, with local variables and so on.
>
> Today ABCL is not bad from this perspective: slime competion work
> (speeding them up will be good though),
> slime functions argument hints work, slime-go-to-definition work. But of
> course there are always room
> for improvement. For me as a developer the dev enviroment convinience and
> development speed
> is more important even than execution speed of my code. So, after fixing
> the important libraries,
> you could probably consider development convenience as and area for
> attention.

Right. Completely agreed. I have had ideas how to work on this for quite
some time now. However, since the actual number of ABCL users has been
fairly low (and the ones that did, seemed to get by with what's there),
increasing library support seemed to be the best investment. Now that
that's come such a long way, it does seem right to divert our attention to
other problems indeed. So far, it's always been my intent to make it work
on compiled code. However, maybe it's better to make it work on interpreted
code first and only *then* move it to compiled code since that will mean
quite a bit of impact on the compiler as well. (The compiler is structured
around java stack frames, which don't take LET or M-V-B blocks into account.