[armedbear-devel] how to load local file?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 19:57:48 UTC 2013

Hi Joe,

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Joe Corneli <holtzermann17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I'm working with a Java developer and she tells me that this works:
>
> interpreter.eval("(load
> \"/http://people.kmi.open.ac.uk/ning/atms/decipher-atms-single-file.lisp\
> ")");

(Assuming the leading dash in "/http" is a typo, this should indeed work...)

> but this doesn't:
>
> interpreter.eval("(load
> \"/Decipher/codes/decipher-atms-single-file.lisp\")");

But: this should work as well. Can you tell a bit more about the
environment? Is this a Windows environment, ie an environment with multiple
filesystem root directories? If not and this is on a *nix-like filesystem,
I would not understand why this shouldn't work.

What means "doesn't work"? Does it mean something throws a Java exception?
Does it mean the file content doesn't actually get loaded, but you see no
errors? Is there a Common Lisp condition being thrown?

> Any idea about why this would be, and how we can load local code from
> a WAR web service?

What I did in the past is pick a class which I know to be included in the
JAR/WAR, something like "org.armedbear.lisp.Lisp", take its class and get
the URL of the required resource from it like this (taken from
src/org/armedbear/lisp/Site.java):

        URL url = Lisp.class.getResource("boot.lisp");

HTH,