[armedbear-devel] Gray streams aren't streams

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Feb 18 10:22:12 UTC 2013

On Feb 18, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Rudolf Schlatte <rudi at constantly.at> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2013, at 05:15, "James M. Lawrence" <llmjjmll at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...they're just grays :)
>>
>> (require :gray-streams)
>> (subtypep 'gray-streams:fundamental-stream 'stream)
>> ;; => NIL, T
>>
>> This doesn't matter for flexi-streams and other libs, but cl-store has
>> a few DECLAREs. I don't know exactly when a type declaration is an
>> assertion in ABCL, but at least it is for a stream with nonzero safety.

This is a long-standing architectural issue that we are finally
within sight of fixing in the abcl-1.2.0 release cycle as we can
benefit from the implementation of MOP to re-root the inheritance
hierarchy when the GRAY streams are loaded.  From what I can tell,
this problem does mess up part of FLEXI-STREAMS, and leads directly
to the inability to run the tests for Hunchentoot to competition.

[A long time ago, Ville collecting some notes on how to go about
this exist in the doc tree][streams].

[streams]:
http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/browser/trunk/abcl/doc/design/streams

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing to compare to it now."