[armedbear-devel] Autoconvert to JSS (was Re: Seamless ABCL / Java integration proposal)

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Feb 17 17:15:10 UTC 2013

On 2/17/13 1:53 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

[…]

> Here's another item that I think would be a very nice addition towards
> the goal we both agree is worthwhile. I find myself regularly finding
> some code snippet or test program written in java that I want to use in
> abcl. Wouldn't it be sweet if there was a slime addition paste-as-jss
> that did the transforms necessary to translate from java syntax to jss
> in ABCL. This wouldn't have to be a full java parser - even support for
> a subset of statements and the ability to ignore much of the declaration
> nonsense that jss/abcl doesn't need, and the ability to leave alone what
> it doesn't know how to translate, would be a real help for lisp
> programmers who want to use java.

With the inclusion of [Semantic][] since GNU Emacs 23, most of the
support for doing this should be available in elisp, although I didn't
think too highly of the actual code the last time (about a year ago), I
tried to hook into it.  For one thing, from what I can tell it is
missing a parser for Lisp which seemed to indicates that it comes from
the semicolons 4-evah! species of programmers.

[Semantic]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/semantic/index.html

--

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare it to now."