[armedbear-devel] Using ABCL with large Java app

Blake McBride blake at arahant.com
Fri Feb 15 23:54:53 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I have a large Java app with more than 15K Java classes.  I linked it up
with ABCL and successfully used it in several places.  However, I had a
couple of problems that caused me to use ABCL significantly less than I had
hoped.  I thought I would share my problems and perhaps there might be a
helpful suggestion.

Although I don't interface with most of the 15K Java classes, there are
still a lot of classes to interface ABCL with.  I wrote some lisp code
that, through Java reflection, creates CLOS classes that mirror the Java
classes I wish to interface with.  In CLOS it encapsulates the Java
instance, mirrors the class hierarchy, and creates generics to match the
Java methods.  I found a way to create variable argument generics that feed
fixed argument methods in order to handle the fact that similarly named
methods can take different arguments across different Java classes.

I ran into two problems that have caused me to use ABCL much less than I'd
like to.  The first seems like won't be too hard to solve, but the second
is something I still need to find a solution to.  Remember, I cannot build
this interface manually.  There are too many classes and methods.

The first problem is that I have Java classes and instances mirrored as
CLOS classes and instances.  At times it was more convenient (from lisp) to
deal with Java objects directly instead of CLOS mirrors.  While it was
more convenient, it ended up being too confusing.  With all these classes,
objects, and methods, it was too easy to forget what the heck I was dealing
with at any point in the code.  I think the only answer to this is to only
deal with lisp objects when in lisp.  This would avoid the confusion at the
cost of wrapping and unwrapping certain Java objects at times - not too
bad.  I would need to have a way to pack Jeve arguments from Jave when
calling Lisp.  Doing it in Lisp is a problem because I am back to the
confusion of knowing when I am dealing with a Java object and when a lisp
object.

The second problem has to do with the fact that a single Java class can use
the same method name multiple times with different arguments.  Remember, I
am using variable argument generics to handle similar Java method names
taking different argument across different classes.  I still have argument
checking because I dispatch to a fixed argument CLOS method.  However, I
cannot do this within a single class.  The first obvious answer is to name
mangle the generics.  This is too sloppy.  The other answer would be to
name mangle the methods and have the generic be smart enough to dispatch to
the correct method based on the argument number and types (all in CLOS).
 This would be a lot of work so I thought I might solicit alternative
suggestions.  Perhaps there is a simple answer that I hasn't come to me.

Thanks.

Blake McBride