[armedbear-devel] SBCL->ABCL migration questions

Rudi Schlatte rudi at constantly.at
Mon Aug 26 12:26:09 UTC 2013

On Aug 26, 2013, at 00:18, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> On Aug 25, 2013 11:51 PM, "Rich Morin" <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm involved with a project that uses Steel Bank Common Lisp (SBCL).
> > I'm interested in the possibility of moving it to ABCL, in order to take
> > advantage of interoperability with some other JVM languages (eg,
> > Clojure, JRuby, Jython).
> >
> > FYI, the project software currently uses several requires:
> >
> >   (require :bordeaux-threads)
>
> Bordeaux-threads - if taken to be recent enough - should not be a problem ...
>
> >   (require :mcclim)     ; CLIM public implementation
>
> ... but this require might be a challenge. I know that Rudi  Schlatte started to port McCLIM to ABCL. I have no idea what his current progress is.

Now that abcl has a mop implementation, a port is theoretically possible.  In fact, porting the existing X-Windows backend should not be too much work.  I started noodling around with a Swing-based backend, but did not progress beyond an application frame with vertically stacked labels so far.  Current progress is at https://github.com/rudi/mcclim/tree/abcl-backend; I'm not working actively on it currently but it can serve as the basis for a port of the X-Windows backend since the abcl-specific files are there.

Rudi