[armedbear-devel] ASDF-JAR vs ASDF3 deployment support

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 17:32:09 UTC 2013

> Well, systems should declare the resources they want packaged into their
> > applications in their system files. That's a requirement both ECL and
> > ABCL now put forward, but I think other implementations which are able
> > to deliver more or less stand alone programs would want the same.
>
> Updating the ASDF documentation on how to use the new ops as well as
> recommendations for ASDF definitions would be good steps in this
> direction.  When time and resources are available, of course…

Completely agreed. I'm going to write a blog item about my own use case,
but true, there's a lot more to it than just that.

>     But because "universal distribution" (i.e. for the majority of users
> of
> >     a given system) has more-or-less subsumed by Quicklisp, there is no
> real
> >     constraint on the developers of system definitions to ensure that all
> >     components are so enumerated:  loading the system from Quicklisp
> works
> >     so nothing is broken, right?
> >
> > Surely we can add tests for that in cl-test-grid as well?
>
> Maybe we could implement an ASDF/LINT that checks the "well-formedness"
> of a given .asd file, reporting potential problems?  Conceptually such
> checking needs to be maintained "closer" to ASDF than CL-TEST-GRID.
> Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery, of course

That's not really what I meant, if I understand you correctly. What I meant
is: if we can use cl-test-grid to test if libraries load, then we surely
can use cl-test-grid to test if a
"compiled-and-loaded-from-monolithic-fals" version works. If it doesn't,
I'd take that as an indication the ASDF system is broken (that is, if the
loader would work for the non-monolithic case).

> >      And even if one discarded this possiblity, often
> >     directory hierarchies share multiple ASDF definitions, so one would
> >     package "source" components that aren't really source components.
> >

> > I'm sorry, I don't understand this bit. Could you try to explain your
> > concern with different words?
>
> Think of the ABCL-TEST-LISP definition in abcl.asd: it only references
> files in the test/lisp/abcl sub-directory.

That's fine. In this case, the current ASDF system builder includes only
the lisp files it knows about.

>  So, if one one were to treat
> the pathname of the .asd file it is defined in, one would include the
> abcl Java source, possibly the build artifacts, etc.  which is probably
> not what one wants.

Right, so I'm not arguing we should include "everything below the system
file". I'm saying that system definitions can use #. macros to include
files dynamically into the system definition and once that definition is
compiled and packed, there's no need to evaluate the #. macro anymore so,

>  Or consider CFFI with the cffi-ffi.asd definition,
> which needs one specific subdirectory.

True. Isn't it the case that those subdirectories are currently included
using reader conditionals? I'm assuming we're not cross-compiling systems
for ABCL on SBCL here. I have a feeling I'm not understanding you on this
point.

>     So, assuming that "deployment outside of Quicklisp from an ASDF
> >     definition" would be a greater good for the community, we seem to be
> >     stuck at a bootstrap problem.  I can't think of a way to force ASDF
> >     authors to enumerate their static components, but until such
> enumeration
> >     is widespread, I can't demonstrate its utility by developing an
> >     ASDF/BUNDLE operation.
> >
> > Well, there is no need to develop the ASDF/BUNDLE operation: Fare did.
> > Buth other than that, the fact that I can now succesfully package
> > bordeaux-threads which we couldn't with ASDF-JAR, I think this is really
> > a step ahead?
>
> Conceptually, it sounds like a step ahead but how do I use it.  Could
> you write up a quick document on how to use it?  I'm still not sure how
> things like ASDF:SYSTEM-RELATIVE-PATHNAME would work in the monolithic
> fasl scenario, so I would like to get my hands dirty a bit here.

I'm not certain with respect to this point. Lets ask Fare about that :-)

> > [I actually started writing this mail bottom to top, so what's below may
> > be a reiteration...]
> >
> > Well, the great thing about the solution that Fare has now rolled out is
> > that I was able to package and load Bordeax-threads even though it is
> > problematic because it uses the #. reader macro and does not include the
> > version.lisp-sexp in the ASDF definition...
> >
> > The infrastructure I've added to ABCL has been hooked up into ASDF with
> > his new release. Much more doesn't seem to be required to get it all
> > correctly packaged. Package providers can simply use #. reader macros to
> > inject the list of :static-files they need to be distributed with their
> > code and asdf will pick it up.  We'll need to work and test ASDF + ABCL
> > to see if everything works as intened though.
>
> And then deprecate ASDF-JAR?

Only if that's the right thing to do in the sense that ASDF-JAR's
functionality has been subsumed into ASDF3's build facility. However, I
don't think we need to: it's a contrib in its own right until it's broken
and nobody can be motivated to unbreak it.

>  In some ways, I thought that being able to
> present ABCL components as jar files (abcl.jar, abcl-contrib.jar,
> hunchentoot-all-1.2.14.jar) would be a more natural fit to typical Java
> server deployment scenarios.

Well, the only difference betweer a FASL and a JAR is the MANIFEST file...
I'm sure we can come up with a way to make the .abcls look like jars or
even turn them into real ones. However, if there's a file called
"my-application--systems.jar", why