[armedbear-devel] Update to code for running ABCL on the Cygwin version of Emacs

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Sep 24 11:27:14 UTC 2012

The change to SLIME on 2011-12-24 changed the way that the inferior
Lisp image is invoked, breaking [my previous instructions on how
to get SLIME working under Cygwin][1].

After a bit of wrangling, I have [posted modified code to get ABCL
working under the Cygwin Emacs again, changing the canonical location
should further updating be necessary][2].

I decided to implement my changed version as a "code walker" that
transforms the s-expr emitted by SLIME-INIT-COMMAND, utilising the
ability of SLIME-LISP-IMPLEMENTATIONS to specify an init function.
I reasoned that this would be better than an Emacs DEFADVICE as the
.emacs initialization can now be reasonably shared between different
Lisp implementations.  DEFADVICE might have been a bit cleaner, but
it would probably break just as easily in the future the next someone
changes the way SLIME invokes things.  For those suitably inclined,
comments on this implementation choice would be welcome, as I am
not the most experienced elisp hacker.

Bug reports as to the new procedure are solicited if it fails to
work for you.

[1]: http://abcl-dev.blogspot.co.at/2010/05/running-slime-under-cygwin-with-abcl.html
[2]: http://slack.net/~evenson/abcl/slime-under-cygwin.html

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing to compare to it now."