[armedbear-devel] Figuring out the provenance of trunk

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 12:18:12 UTC 2012

On 11 June 2012 14:35, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
>> ECL is released under the LGPL which doesn't create license conflicts with the GPL AFAIK, so if we keep attributions we should be ok.

Anything that's GPL is outside of our reach. We have the Classpath
exception which
is one-way incompatible with GPL. You can take Classpath+GPL code and
put it into
a GPL project. You can't take GPL code and put it into a Classpath+GPL code.

I'm not 100% sure about LGPLv2 -> GPL+Classpath, but it would seem to me that
while the intent of LGPLv2 isn't violated by a GPL+Classpath
combination, it's still
not exactly ok because the wording in LGPLv2 says rather strictly that
the linking
leeway is provided under the terms of LGPLv2 only, and relicensing
isn't allowed.
GPL relicensing is explicitly ok, but GPL+Classpath is a different
beast, it's not covered
by LGPLv2 as being truly compatible.

GPLv3 is a bit different, it allows certain kinds of additional
permissions to be added,
but GPLv2 doesn't. The Classpath exception is such an additional permission, and
GPLv2 does *not* allow it. I don't think LGPLv2 allows it either.