[armedbear-devel] asdf-jar on Windows

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Jan 22 09:25:27 UTC 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Anton Vodonosov wrote:

[…]

>> A conditional read macro at runtime to select "/var/tmp" or "c:/temp"?
>
> So the jar's are unpacked into a temporary dir?

Buildtime: no.  We create a hash of current pathnames to desired pathnames relative to the jar archive and package efficiently (directly).

Runtime:  dependent on the JVM implementation that hosts the Bear.

> It would be good also to have a solution when fasls are loaded from
> jar directly. It would require to present jar as a file system to lisp, so that
> lisp functions merge-pathnames, open and others work on like
> #P"jar://some/path/".

ASDF-JAR includes both source and fasts by default.  The ABCL
compiler should always be available, but it can take a while before
the JIT really warms up, so binary fasts are desired.  That Java
has a universal byte code representation is used to great advantage
here.

The assumption is that the additional bytes to include source is
trivial.

> It will solve the with choosing right temporary directory and will
> allow to load lisp code in environments where we don't have
> writable file system at all - Google App Engine.

GAE should be able to use binary artifacts produced by ASDF-JAR without issues.  [abcl-servlet][] provides a plausible hosting framework.

[abcl-servlet]:  https://bitbucket.org/easye/abcl-servlet

> Of course, I realize it is probably a significant work of source to support this,
> so it's just an idea rather than a "feature request".

We love features.  It gets us more users.

-- Mark