[armedbear-devel] ABCL 1.1.0

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Dec 10 12:19:08 UTC 2012

All the [steps involved in releasing ABCL 1.1.0][1] have been completed.

A [provisional draft of release notes has been published][2].  At this
point, I find looking at the [abcl 1.1.0 Milestone in Trac][1.1.1] and
especially the [closed tickets for 1.1.0][3] to give the best overview
of what we have accomplished in the past year.

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/wiki/ReleaseSteps
[2]: http://common-lisp.net/project/armedbear/release-notes-1.1.0.shtml

[1.1.0]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/milestone/1.1.0
[3]:
http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/query?status=closed&group=resolution&milestone=1.1.0

The three major drivers in ABCL 1.1.0 for running Quicklisp systems were
CLOSER-MOP, [cffi][], and [Huchentoot][]. for which patches are needed
to actually run, so we haven't currently met this criteria.  We will try
our hardest for this to be the case in [1.1.1][], provisionally due for
New Year's Eve.

[cffi]: https://github.com/easye/cffi/commits/master
[hunchentoot]: https://github.com/easye/hunchentoot/commits/master

I am current awaiting the 2012-12 Quicklisp--take your time, Zach.  I've
got lots of other stuff to do--elease to actually write up an
email/comp.lang.lisp posting announcing the release while updating the
provisional release notes, but I don't think such a step should detract
from anyone wishing to use the implementation at this point.

Depending on what happens in 2012-12 Quicklisp, I am possibly thinking
of extending the QUICKLISP-ABCL contrib to somehow "overlay" the
corrected versions of CLOSER-MOP, CFFI, Hunchentoot, and other ASDF
systems that need patches to work, by creating a "QUICKLISP-ABCL"
distribution, so that the necessary coordination with Quicklisp packaged
systems can occur in a much more centralized and prompt manner.

For abcl-1.1.1 the procedure is pretty simple:  commit/submit patches to
[trunk][], and I'll make sure to backport them.  We will then release
abcl-1.1.1 at the end of December, and hopefully all the Quicklisp
drivers can patch for Quicklisp 2013-01.  Now that I have [most of the
basics in RDF][abcl.rdf], automating the procedure should start to be
feasible.

[1.1.1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/milestone/1.1.1
[abcl.rdf]: http://svn.common-lisp.net/armedbear/trunk/abcl/abcl.rdf

Thanks,
Mark <evenson at panix.com>

--

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare it to now."