[armedbear-devel] warnings for method keywords (was Re: Closer-mop support for ABCL)

Rudolf Schlatte rudi at constantly.at
Sun Aug 26 15:33:37 UTC 2012

[removing closer-devel, but feel free to re-add]

On Aug 26, 2012, at 16:28, Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> wrote:

> Just a minor thing: Sometimes, you have to declare keyword arguments in CLOS methods just to tell CLOS that a specific keyword argument is acceptable, even if it is not used (see 7.6.5 in the HyperSpec). ABCL gives style-warnings in such cases, but I don't think that should happen…

The relevant sentence being:  "The lambda list congruence rules require that each method accept all of the keyword arguments mentioned after &key in the generic function definition, by accepting them explicitly, by specifying&allow-other-keys, or by specifying &rest but not &key."

The mentioned style warnings occur when compiling a file containing, e.g.,

    (defmethod foo ((x fixnum) &key y z) x)

I think I agree that these style warnings can be elided, since a typo in the arglist will lead to another style warning "Undefined variable A assumed special" anyway.  Filed as bug #242.

Rudi