[armedbear-devel] Manual format

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 20:18:36 UTC 2011

On 29 October 2011 22:55, Ole Arndt <ole at sugarshark.com> wrote:
> to revive an older thread...
>> 2.  I want to be able to include pictures and tables, dammit!
> Texinfo does images and tables.
> See (Info-goto-node "(texinfo) Images")
> and (Info-goto-node "(texinfo) Lists and Tables")

Good point. Texinfo to my knowledge can be.. coaxed(?) to do this?

> The HTML generated by makeinfo is indeed pretty plain, but
> much can be done with some CSS stylesheets.

No disagreement there. I personally know enough CSS to be
dangerous, but it's a question of whether we should bother with
it.

>> 4.  I want to be able to fiddle the printed layout at a fundamental
>> level
> Ok, if you need that, texinfo is not the right choice. But I think the
> uniformity of texinfo manuals is a good thing, that helps the reader to
> quickliy find what shes looking for.

Final note: I don't have a strong argument either way. But, some
words:

1) I happen to love LaTeX and I'd like to check the current state
of LaTeX -> HTML converters before going for Texinfo
2) Mark went through the trouble of actually doing the manual,
so for the time being, we'll respect his format choice, over
which we have no strong complaints
3) ..and, regarding (2), patches welcome! :)

All in all, I believe LaTeX is a fine choice, and not at all
broken-enough to require fixing.