[armedbear-devel] Forking new ABCL processes cheaply (was Re: asdf and windows vs unix on abcl)

Mark Evenson evenson.not.org at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:39:44 UTC 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 19:21 , Faré wrote:
[…]
> Can ABCL somehow start a fresh image for cheap in the same Java heap,
> or even better, fork a CL image within the same Java heap?
> That would make ABCL much more useful as an XCVB backend.

No, the usual JVM implementations don't have this sort of capability.
If our abstractions of specials, streams, etc. are managed correctly,
we should be able to run threads for you quite cheaply.  I'm working
on a wrapping of the JVM Executor service.  Stay tuned.

>> To find what platform the hosted JVM is executing under, I might suggest some variant of
>>
>>  CL-USER> (when (find :unix *features* ) (run-program "uname" '("-a")))
>>
> Is that useful?

Not sure. You have to interpolate the string output, but in the
grand scheme of things, that isn't hard, is it?   What was the
question? ;)

Mark <evenson at panix.com>

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare to it now."