[armedbear-devel] destroy-thread and unwind-protect

Mark Evenson evenson.not.org at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:19:33 UTC 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 20:05 , James Lawrence wrote:

>        (threads:destroy-thread thread)
>        (sleep 0.5)
>        cleanedp))
>
>    (test-cleanup)
>
> ABCL-1.0.0 and ABCL-0.27.0 return NIL.
>
> Other implementations I tested all return T -- Allegro, Clozure,
> LispWorks, SBCL (changing "threads" to "bordeaux-threads").
>
> Of course this isn't a bug since ABCL is free to do what it wishes.
> Does ABCL wish that?

Unfortunately, we probably do want NIL here:  we can't guarantee
that the thread has been destroyed when this application returns.
So, I would argue we can't plausibly return T.  Unless T means just:
"the user has requested the thread destroyed" type contract?

Feel free to [fork your semantics as you see fit][1].

[1]: http://code.google.com/p/abcl-dynamic-install/