[armedbear-devel] JAVA:*JAVA-OBJECT-TO-STRING-LENGTH* controls pretty print length

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 17 10:57:28 UTC 2011

[r13277][1] now places the control of the elision of PRINT-OBJECT
representation of otherwise an unspecialized JAVA-OBJECT by the value of
JAVA:*JAVA-OBJECT-TO-STRING-LENGTH*.

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/13277

The addresses the problem Blake McBride reported as follows (in an email
that mysteriously didn't make it to the armedbear-devel list)

On 5/14/11 03:19 , Blake McBride wrote:
 > I am trying to pretty-print an object.  I'm getting:
 >
 > #(#<java.lang.reflect.Field private static final long com.ar...
{6666F55B}>
 >   #<java.lang.reflect.Field public static final java.lang.St...
{43D027D5}>
 >   #<java.lang.reflect.Field public static final java.lang.St...
{7CDF3533}>
 >   #<java.lang.reflect.Field public static final java.lang.St...
{221DE751}>
 >   #<java.lang.reflect.Field public static final java.lang.St...
{593D8856}>)

 > I need to be able to see the "..." parts in order to debug a problem I
 > am having.  I tried virtually every combination of printer control
 > variables I could think of with no changes at all.

I have also changed the elision character sequence from "..." to "...."
to avoid confusing users that this has anything to do with the standard
pretty printer variables (*PRINT-LENGTH* uses "..." to indicate its
elision).