[armedbear-devel] ABCL-0.25.0

Paul Bowyer pbowyer at olynet.com
Mon May 16 16:49:11 UTC 2011

Hello:

I'm very new to lisp and decided to try ABCL to see how it works. I have
some experience (not much though) with SBCL and CMUCL using Slime. I've
also tried ClozureCL, but it is a little more problematic.

I built ABCL with:
      Netbeans-6.9 (ant-1.8.2)
and with:
      Netbeans-7.0 (ant-1.11.1)
as Java Free-Form Projects

In both cases, ABCL built without noticeable problems.

I'm running PCLinuxOS, so I used the install instructions for Linux from:

"http://common-lisp.net/project/armedbear/doc/abcl-install-with-java.html"
by copy/paste of "test.lisp" and running :
   "java -jar <mypath>/abcl.jar --load test.lisp" which also went
without problems.

I then created a shell script (named "abcl") in my home directory by
copy/paste of your "/usr/bin/lisp" with the corrected "ABCL_JAR=" set
for the location of my newly built "abcl.jar" but when I run that script
from a Konsole shell, the "CL-USER(1):" prompt copies itself plus the
character I typed for each character I type at the prompt. As I type,
the screen fills with "CL-USER(1):" until I press the enter key and then
the lisp form is evaluated and the CL-USER(2): is now at the normal
expected location at the lower- left corner of the shell.

I have "rlwrap 0.30" installed for use with ABCL.

Startup of ABCL:
Armed Bear Common Lisp 0.25.0
Java 1.6.0_24 Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Low-level initialization completed in 0.746 seconds.
Startup completed in 2.318 seconds.
Type ":help" for a list of available commands.

I tried using ABCL with Slime and it starts up OK, but it would not
compile and load some lisp files that work properly with SBCL and CMUCL.

 From a Konsole shell using: 'java -jar "<mypath>/abcl.jar"' to run ABCL
so as to avoid the prompt problem, I tried:
:cload <mypath-to-files>/util.lisp and it went through the compile, but
choked at loading with the following:
; Compiling <mypath-to-files>/util.lisp ...
; (IF (NOT #) ...)
; (IN-PACKAGE "UTIL")
; (DEFUN ELEMENTP ...)
; (DEFTYPE ELEMENT ...)
; (DEFUN LIST-DUP-EL-SRCH ...)
; (DEFUN BAGP ...)
; (DEFTYPE BAG ...)
; Wrote <mypath-to-files>/util.abcl (0.644 seconds)
Error loading <mypath-to-files>/util.abcl at line 6 (offset 274)
#<THREAD "interpreter" {993730}>: Debugger invoked on condition of type
PACKAGE-ERROR
   The symbol COMMON-LISP-USER::ELEMENTP is not accessible in package UTIL.
Restarts:
   0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.
This was one of the files that compiles and loads without problems with
SBCL or CMUCL. ClozureCL will compile and load this file from Slime if I
coax it through the process, but it takes more effort than SBCL or CMUCL.

I have attached the source for this file if it is needed. It is just
some code built by following (kind of) some common lisp tutorial
instructions.

pbowyer