[armedbear-devel] Patches for metatilities-base and lift

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Mar 22 14:18:15 UTC 2011

On 3/22/11 15:08 , Alessio Stalla wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Zach Beane<xach at xach.com>  wrote:
>> I don't like the idea of interceding and patching after download
>> very much.
>
> For what it's worth, I don't like it either.

Noted.

> For it to work reliably we'd need to keep ABCL and Quicklisp
> releases in sync, and tell users to update both at the same time.

Keeping Quicklisp packages working with ABCL trunk and the most recent
release would not be that much additional effort.  As we patch ABCL to
get more systems running, we can patch the packages with the necessary
conditionals that call ERROR with a message stating that things won't
work out.

> After all, users presently cannot use those libraries on ABCL,
> Quicklisp or not. If someone really needs to use them ASAP, (s)he
> will need to complain to the library author.

With the patches [that I am seemingly accumulating][1] there is a lot of
packages that can work with ABCL than is apparent from merely trying to
use Quicklisp (or ASDF-INSTALL).  But which patch is needed in what
situation is not always that easy to tell.  I try to post to
armedbear-devel information about the latest version, but one might have
to comb the archives to figure things out.

[1]: http://detroit.slack.net/~evenson/abcl/