[armedbear-devel] Patches for metatilities-base and lift

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Tue Mar 22 13:57:17 UTC 2011

Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> writes:

> On 3/22/11 14:47 , Zach Beane wrote:
>> Mark Evenson<evenson at panix.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Patches to get [metatilities-base][1] and [lift][2] as distributed by
>>> Quicklisp MAR2011.
>>>
>>> We really need to either a) make our own Quicklisp distribution or (my
>>> preference) b) make a QUICKLISP-PATCH system to apply patches as
>>> QL:QUICKLOAD happens.
>>
>> What about c), asking the author to make changes to support ABCL? That
>> seems like the best possible option to me.
>
> Yes, of course we will.  But since QL has monthly publishing windows and
> getting authors to incorporate changes doesn't always happen that
> easily, I still think having some sort of mechanism that canonically
> patches QL distributions would be useful to the ABCL community.

Quicklisp has a dist preference mechanism that allows one dist's
projects to take precedence over another's. You could use that to create
an ABCL dist of projects for which ABCL patches have not yet been
applied, and that would selectively override the unpatched projects in
the primary Quicklisp dist.

I don't like the idea of interceding and patching after download very
much.

Zach