[armedbear-devel] ASDF 2.013 released

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Mar 20 15:35:32 UTC 2011

On 3/20/11 2:53 PM, Faré wrote:
> Dear Armed Bear developers,
>
> congratulations for your many releases since I last contacted you.
>
> I've just released ASDF 2.013. I don't know which version you're using,
> but there have been numerous small bug fixes and improvements in ASDF.
> For the sake of sharing those improvements, I think
> it would be a good time to push ASDF to all Lisp implementations.
> Could you include it in yours?

We were at asdf-2.012.  I just [committed asdf-2.013][1] for you (and us
all, really).

[1]: http://trac.common-lisp.net/armedbear/changeset/13253

> While abcl is used as part of my automated test suite,
> I don't often upgrade my abcl copy (currently 0.22.0)
> -- it would help if there were a debian package.
> Please make sure ASDF suits your purposes, and
> contact me with any patch you use for inclusion upstream.

ASDF is working just fine with ABCL as far as we know.  We don't
currently have any implementation specific patches.

Since we are a JVM-based Lisp, the one request we seem to get from our
user community would be the ability to distribute ASDF systems with the
FASLs (in our case Java bytecode plus some glue to be evaled) already
present, i.e. to skip the compile step.  I know that ECL was nosing for
something similar to support deployment to systems without gcc present,
but I didn't really see this result in a solution (or maybe I missed
it).  Is there a semi-officially blessed way to distribute ASDF systems
with FASLs while skipping the compilation step and somehow bypassing the
centralized FASL repository on a per-system basis?

We're currently at abcl-0.25.0.  Any idea how to get us into the Debian
packaging stream?  Is there someone who specializes in maintaining CL
related packages that we could lobby?

If anyone reads this who would like help with packaging ABCL for their
distribution system, we would be happy to work to make such integration
as painless as possible.  Just drop us a post here on armedbear-develop,
and we should be able to followup fairly quickly.

> PS: I created a mailing-list asdf-announce.
> Maybe someone amongst you could join it,
> so I don't need to push my announces to this mailing-list.
> Or maybe I can just Cc: my announce to this mailing-list
> and not bother with further explanations?

You are welcome to cc: your announce here to armedbear-devel and skip
the personalized request if that saves you time.  I'm pretty tuned into
the CL logosphere via #lisp, planetlisp, and c.l.l so I usually
ambiently know that you're making a release.

Thanks for the excellent support with ASDF!  Although Quicklisp gets all
the headlines, I know that without the minimum level of sanity
introduced with ASDF2 and its subsequent maintenance releases, such
contemporary CL distribution mechanisms would have been nearly impossible.