[armedbear-devel] [Updated4] Patch for ABCL against BORDEAUX-THREADS HEAD

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 15:39:51 UTC 2011

On 18 March 2011 10:12, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
>> 1) If no other threads are trying to claim the lock, then
>> condition-wait will return immediately rather than waiting.
> I couldn't reproduce this behavior.  In ABCL, the THREADS:OBJECT-WAIT

That obviously shouldn't happen. The wait should block until a notify arrives.

>> 2) If two threads are waiting in condition-wait and two other threads

Two threads can't be waiting in condition wait, the wait must be surrounded
by the same lock, so two threads can't arrive to the condition wait
simultaneously.

>> 3) If condition-notify is called by one thread when a waiting thread
>> is just about to enter the threads:synchronized-on form (but before
>> it gets synchronized), then the notify will be lost.  This happens

Sure, but condition variables require a lock-check-wait-check cycle. Lost
nofitications shouldn't be a problem because the check will pass if the
condition was already signalled.

Or are these conditions drastically different from how pthread conditions work?