[armedbear-devel] Start up message suggestion

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Mon Jan 31 07:21:47 UTC 2011

On 1/31/11 2:27 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> You guys know about
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.props.special.keywords.html?
> Basically you enable the keyword substitution you want and it gets
> substituted into a pattern you put in files, when you either check in or
> check out (can't remember which).

Yes, we considered that, but the problem is that there isn't a
$GlobalRev$ variable, so the Version.java file would have to be part of
the commit.  And we would lose the information emitted by svnversion
when the local SVN tree has applied patches.  'svnversion' doesn't say
what patches have been applied, but it does indicate that the build
can't be easily reproduced via a simple svn checkout.

I think you'll be pretty happy with what we have implemented in trunk
using 'svnversion'.  Users on UNIX and OSX should have everything "just
work" as 'svnversion' is (almost) always present.

Let us know if what is in trunk doesn't work for you, and we'll try to
patch further.