[armedbear-devel] Problem with error reporting

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 18:15:50 UTC 2011

On 21 January 2011 20:50, Blake McBride <blake at mcbride.name> wrote:
> I tried putting your (pprint 42) right before the line that causes the
> problem and I got:
> 42
> #<THREAD "http-8084-3" {3D33EF4C}>: Unhandled condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR:
>  There is no applicable method for the generic function ~S when
> called with arguments ~S.

I think I've found the reason, and it's not autoload but rather
Condition.getMessage(), which
was never intended to return anything in its base form. It used to
print getFormatControl().toString(),
which sometimes printed crap like
org.armedbear.lisp.Lisp$unboundValue at 19ccb73. Then
Alessio committed a fix that makes Condition.getMessage() return
getFormatControl only if
format control has been bound. I think the correct approach is to make
Condition.getMessage()
return null. That fixes the (time) example Blake posted, and does the
right thing for type-errors
that used to print unboundValue. I'll go through the rest of Blake's
reports, see that the others
are fixed and will commit the patch after that.

Thanks for the reports, fixing this soon.