[armedbear-devel] Spaces in pathnames (jar:file:/x/y/z/a space/...)

Theam Yong Chew senatorzergling at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 21:37:11 UTC 2011

Dear ABCL developers,

While ABCL can handle spaces (& others) in file pathnames just fine, a
space in jar file pathnames still doesn't work. I have confirmed this
on Linux, Mac and Windows. An example using Cygwin,

$ java -jar abcl.jar
Armed Bear Common Lisp 0.24.0
Java 1.6.0_20 Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Low-level initialization completed in 0.625 seconds.
Startup completed in 4.438 seconds.
Type ":help" for a list of available commands.
CL-USER(1): (load "jar:file:e:/My Dropbox/temp/a space/hello.jar!/hello.abcl")
#<THREAD "interpreter" {9AC0F5}>: Debugger invoked on condition of
type FILE-ERROR
  Failed to create URI from 'e:/My Dropbox/temp/a space/hello.jar':
Illegal character in opaque part
 at index 10: file:e:/My Dropbox/temp/a space/hello.jar
Restarts:
  0: TOP-LEVEL Return to top level.

(and yeah, this particular path already has a space character in "My
Dropbox" along with my original intended "a space" folder)

By the way, thanks for the :wildcard directory support (I've only just
tested that, it works for me now!).

Yong.