[armedbear-devel] Maven & ABCL

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:57:44 UTC 2011

>> I know that Maven can use Ant tasks, so the easiest way forward might be
>> to have Ant continue to build while Maven packages it.   Maven has the
>> reputation of strong—i.e. inflexible–ideas about directory layouts that
>> may prove to make this task difficult.
>
> Wait - Maven (by default) requires a certain directory structure if
> you use it to build your project; but I'm not proposing that, it would
> be a daunting task with no foreseeable benefits. I'm just proposing to
> use Maven to "deploy" (i.e. copy to the repository) our already-made
> releases. You can do it with Ant + Maven tasks too, but imho it's
> simpler with Maven alone (which amounts to something like mvn
> gpg:sign-and-deploy-file /path/to/abcl.jar /path/to/pom.xml repo-url,
> same for sources and javadoc jars).

>From the start I was assuming that using Maven was indeed to deploy
ABCL and using Maven as a distribution mechanism. However, I'm now
wondering if deployment-only is too restrictive. What happens when a
deployed ABCL is downloaded from the Maven repository? The user gets
access to it, but may want the option to rebuild the ABCL jar for
whatever reason. With the deployment-only option, the user won't be
able to do it from his integrated Maven-management environment,
correct? If that's true, will 'deployment-only' be a limiting factor
for deployment of ABCL through Maven, or is it a step forward and
should we just see what comes next?