[armedbear-devel] What is the consensus on JFLI and JSS?

mahmud bigthingist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 20:00:14 UTC 2010

Hi there,

First, a big thank you and congratulation on a job well done, everyone!

Secondly. What is the community take on jfli[1] and jss[1]? I like them
both, and I plan to use them heavily to Lispify a few Java libraries.
However, the two are incompatible, they both have features I would like
to see merged.

Have there been any attempts at wrapping the native FFI with something
higher level? I am interested in something that does the following:

1) Automatic importing of java packages and making them into Lisp packages.

2) Succinct, case-indifferent syntax.

I would like to extend either of them to do:

3) Subclassing of java classes in Lisp.

4) Ability to implement java interfaces in Lisp classes.

I have a few more ideas, most of which are feasible, but would like to
get the community's input on FFI wrappers before I head off in a
solitary direction.

Regards.

- mahmud